Smoothies are one of my favorite treats. During my 4th pregnancy I have been enjoying getting my greens in by blending them in smoothies. I add banana and mango for sweetness and avocado for a nice creamy texture. If you haven’t tried making green smoothies, give this recipe a try. It is an easy, delicious way to add nutrients to your day!
How to make a green smoothie
I have to admit, although I have been making homemade smoothies for awhile, I was a little intimidated by the idea of a green smoothie. Mainly because I thought that the flavor would somehow be “off” by adding in greens. But after seeing green smoothies everywhere and understanding the health benefits, I resolved to give it a try.
And I am in love.
There are a few keys to make a green smoothie taste good:
- Start with a good base. I like using vanilla almond milk, yogurt or whey. Milk is a good option too.
- Add avocado for creamy texture.
- Choose at least 2 fruits. Berries, tropical fruits (think mango, pineapple) and bananas are all good choices.
- Use organic greens. I like the pre-washed packs of mixed greens. My favorite are Power greens by Earthbound.
- Add some seeds. Chia seeds, hemp seeds and and/or flax seeds are all great options. I find if you soak your chia and flax seeds for about 5 minutes prior to blending that it comes out better.
I always thought you needed a high end, super speed blender to make green smoothies. But really just about any blender will do. I use this inexpensive Hamilton Beach blender and it works great. So leave the excuses behind you and give it a try!
Kids and green smoothies
Initially my kids were a little skeptical of green smoothies. So I started getting them involved in the process. I let them choose and gather the ingredients with me. They help put everything in the blender and most importantly they press the button to start.
Now when the smoothie is ready they are super excited to try out their creation. My toddler loves them so much that he generally goes around licking everyone’s glasses when they are finished. And sometimes he even cries for more when its all gone!
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened vanilla Almond milk (other non-dairy milk, milk, yogurt or whey)
- 1 banana
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup of frozen mango
- 2 Tbsp hemp seeds
- 1 Tbsp flax seeds
- 1 big handful of organic spinach (or mixed greens)
- Add ingredients in the order listed into the blender.
- Blend on Smoothie/Puree function until smooth (2-3 mins)
- Pour into glasses and enjoy!
Nutrition Information:Yield: 2 Serving Size: 2-3 servings
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 370 Total Fat: 24g Saturated Fat: 3g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 20g Cholesterol: 0mg Sodium: 32mg Carbohydrates: 38g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 12g Sugar: 20g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 9g
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. All products linked are products I use and enjoy. If you buy any products you pay the same price and we get a small commission that helps support this site. Thank you for clicking!
I’d love to hear from you! Do you drink green smoothies? What are your favorite ingredients to add? Leave your comments below.
Get the Glow & a Natural Birth
Learn the tips and techniques I used to get that pregnancy glow and have 4 natural births. Download your FREE essential self care checklist and start enjoying your pregnancy today!