Are you looking for an easy comfort food meal to make for your family? This meatloaf recipe is pretty simple and hearty. It makes enough to feed a crowd or to have leftovers for the next day.
Meatloaf is actually an easy meal to make. Once you learn how to do it, you can quickly whip it together and pop it in the oven. It makes a nice Sunday dinner or weeknight meal that doesn’t require a lot of attention.
This meatloaf recipe includes paprika, cumin and hot sauce (optional) to give it a nice, subtle spicy flavor. It is balanced with the sweetness of the sauce which includes balsamic and honey.
In the recipe use the spices listed and season to your taste. A couple of large dashes of each is what I prefer.
Serve this meatloaf with mashed potatoes or sweet potatoes and a vegetable of your choice. Peas, corn or green beans go really nicely.
The leftovers are great for a meatloaf sandwich.
Watch the video below. Enjoy!
- 2.5 lbs of Ground Beef
- 1 Onion
- 1 Bell Pepper
- 2 Eggs
- 4 Cloves of Fresh Garlic,
- 2 tbsp Mustard
- 1/4 cup Ketchup
- 2 tbsp Gluten free flour
- Dash of Wine (optional)
- Dash of Hot Sauce (optional)
- For Sauce:
- 1/2 cup Ketchup
- 1/4 cup of balsamic vinegar
- 2 tbsp of honey
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Put 2.5 lbs of ground meat into a large bowl.
- Add all of the spices + 2 eggs + 2 tbsp of mustard + 1/4 cup ketchup.
- Next add the chopped Onion, Bell Pepper, 4 cloves of fresh Garlic and 2 tbsp of gluten free flour.
- Mix well with your hands or large spoon until combined.
- Place the mixture into a large pan and shape into a loaf.
- Put into the oven and bake for 45 minutes.
- While cooking make the sauce by combining ketchup + balsamic vinegar + honey in a small glass measuring cup.
- When timer goes off, carefully drain off any fat and grease before topping with the sauce. Return to oven and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool for 5-10 minutes before serving.
For the seasoning, spice to your desire with the spices listed.
This recipe can also be made in the slow cooker. Cook for 4 hrs on HIGH. Add the sauce once cooked and continue cooking for additional 30 minutes on HIGH.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 475 Total Fat: 26g Saturated Fat: 10g Trans Fat: 1g Unsaturated Fat: 13g Cholesterol: 173mg Sodium: 474mg Carbohydrates: 17g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 11g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 41g
More Recipes and Meal Planning Tips from Birth Eat Love
Looking for more family friendly recipes you can make with little effort? Check out my ebook – Healing Freezer Meals for Postpartum and Breastfeeding. It includes 12 recipes that are breastfeeding friendly and can be made ahead, frozen and then cooked in the slow cooker.
This Super Simple Slow Cooker Fall Apart Roast Beef is a great recipe to make in the slow cooker.
Want to learn a simple meal planning technique so you can have food on hand to make meals all week? Check out this post on Batch Cooking for Beginners.
Need a healthy, clean eating, done-for-you meal plan? This One Week Meal Plan is great for busy families.
Stop stressing about what to eat!
Sign up to get your Ultimate Grocery List! Featuring the BEST foods to support Pregnancy and Breastfeeding. Make eating healthy easier and save time with this easy printable list.